- Although many insights are not available about the actual role of xAI, the team behind it claims that it was devised to understand the true nature of the universe.
- The announcement quoted that xAI will work as an independent entity and won’t be associated with the X Corp. in any manner.
The Announcement of xAI
Elon Musk, the founder and CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, the founder and CTO of Twitter, and a member of the C-suite panel of multiple conglomerates, announced on July 12, 2023, that he is launching a new company called xAI. The mission of the company is to “understand the true nature of the universe.”
According to the announcement on x.ai, xAI is not, in any way, associated with the X Corp. However it will work closely with all the Elon Musk-owned companies with the sole purpose of progressing towards the mission collectively.
The company broadcasts its personnel requirement for experienced engineers and tech researchers to add to their technical staff in the Bay Area of San Francisco. The company has recruited Dan Hendricks as the team advisor. Dan Hendrycks presently performs his duties for the Center for AI Safety as its Director. CAIS, the abbreviation for Center for AI Safety, is a not-for-profit field-building and data research company based in San Francisco. It believes that the righteous use of artificial intelligence can benefit and revolutionize the world to greater extents.
In contrast to this, the problems that have risen due to the dramatic progress of AI are yet to be solved.
About the team
The team behind the new innovation described in the announcement how the members have worked with companies like Deepmind, an Artificial intelligence subsidiary company of Google, OpenAI, Microsoft Research, Tesla, Google Research, and the University of Toronto. Further, the team has collectively contributed many widely-used methods in the industry like the ones listed below and the revelation of adversarial examples.
- Adam Optimizer: It is an algorithm that is used for the optimization of stochastic objective functions.
- Batch Normalisation: It is a method of training neural networks. These networks contribute to the layers of every mini-batch.
- Layer Normalisation: It is a method devised to reduce the training time in comparison to previous techniques.
Given below are some innovative techniques and analyses that the team inaugurated:
- Transformer XL: It is a structure that enables the understanding of the natural language to go on the farther side of a Fixed-Length Context without disturbing its temporal coherence.
- Memorizing transformers – This has the potential to make use of a new piece of information during the test time.
The team has also worked on major breakthroughs like Alphastar, Alphacode, Minerva, Inception, GPT3.5, and GPT 4. The team includes Elon Musk, Igor Babuschkin, Manuel Kroiss, Yuhai (TONY) Wu, Jimmy Ba, Christian Szegedy, Toby Pohlen, Ross Nordeen, Kyle Kosic, Greg Yang, Guodong Zhang, and Zhang Dai.
Musk is building a rival chatbot to ChatGPT, called TruthGPT. The motive behind TruthGPT is to fill the holes of information in ChatGPT and to overcome the limitations of knowledge that ChatGPT has. He claims that this AI chatbot will provide the most genuine information to the user from its wide spectrum of data information about everything in the world.
Elon Musk’s new venture, xAI, aims to understand the true nature of the universe and will collaborate with his other companies. The team’s extensive expertise in AI and contributions to groundbreaking methods make them well-equipped for this ambitious project. Additionally, Musk’s upcoming AI chatbot, TruthGPT, aims to provide users with more comprehensive and authentic information.